The mission of the INE is to collect, produce and disseminaterelevant, high-quality, official statistical information for society in an effective, independent, professional and integral manner, and to make it available to all members of society, so as to promote sound decision-making.
The mission is based on the following set of objectives:
- - Producing suitable, reliable and consistent statistics that meet users' needs within set time frames, in accordance with the provisions of the National Statistical Plan and the directives of international organisms; promoting the appropriate use of these statistics.
- - Providing citizens, companies, investigators, state and private-sector organisations and public authorities with the statistical information necessary for correct decision-making. This information is collected by the INE and the other statistical services of the State Central Administration.
- - Carrying out Continuous Register coordination duties and managing the Electoral Census.
- - Coordinating the work of statistical services of the State Central Administration and collaborating with the statistical services of Spain's Autonomous Communities.
- - Collaborating with Eurostat (the Statistical Office of the European Communities) and the EU member states to create and maintain the European Statistical System.
- - Establishing collaborative partnerships in the area of statistics with international organisms and, in particular, the European Statistical System, for the design and implementation of projects of common interest.